On Mondays, my friend and I usually make dinner together and watch the Bachelor. Last night, we had these awesome stuffed red peppers filled with lean turkey and protein packed quinoa! We thought of this on our drive home from Des Moines two weekends ago and wanted to make our peppers a bit healthier. In the end, we watched Catherine and Sean get engaged and enjoyed some delicious turkey-quinoa stuffed peppers.
Turkey-Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
3 red peppers
1/2 lb ground turkey meat
1/4 cup quinoa
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar, extra for sprinkleing
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp oregeno
1/2 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste
Set oven to 350 degrees
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Halve the peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 mins and drain. On the inside of each pepper, sprinkle salt, pepper and a little bit of cheese.
2. Brown turkey, drain fat and set aside.
3. In a medium pot, cook quinoa as directed. When the quinoa is cooked, stir in the tomatoes, basil, oregano cooked turkey and Worcestershire sauce. Once warmed through, remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
4. Spoon filling halfway into each of the peppers. Add a bit of tomato sauce over the filling, spoon in the rest of the filling and then top with tomato sauce again. Repeat for each pepper.
5. Bake covered for 25 minutes, uncovered for the last 5 minutes.