January 25, 2011

Change of Plans

Last night, I was all prepped and ready to have a Monday night alone. My gym bag was freezing in my car, ready for me to get my fitness on after the bus.

But on the bus, helloboyfriend texted saying he didn't feel well and was going to leave work early.

Eek! I hadn't thought to make dinner tonight. And I was really looking forward to my workout :)

Soo I quickly ran 1.5 miles and then headed to get groceries. Since he wasn't feeling well, I decided home-style chicken noodle would have do (but I had to take a few shortcuts :wink:). Alas: Shortcut Chicken Noodle.



Still delicious, quick and easy. It was bubbling in 30 minutes and ready to eat.

Ingredients:



  • 1 c chopped celery

  • 1 c chopped carrots

  • 1 small onion, chopped

  • 2 cans chicken broth

  • rotisserie chicken

  • egg noodles

  • salt & pepper

Directions

1. Saute celery, carrots and onions in butter, salt and pepper in a large soup pot until transparent.



2.  Once cooked, add the cans of chicken broth.  Bring to a boil and then let simmer.



3. With the rotisserie chicken, peel off the skin and the meat. Drop the bones in the soup, let it simmer in the broth. Add water if it tastes too salty.



4. With the remainder chicken, cut into cubes or shred (whatever you prefer).



5. Let soup simmer for 10 minutes, and pull out bones. Drop in chicken and dry egg noodles. Let cook until noodles are finished.



Yum, a nice piping hot bowl of chicken noodle soup in about a half hour!

Lesson Learned: Like Sandra Lee's show, I can definitely use more meals that are "semi-homemade" and get a little help from the grocers. Hbf thought that this soup was from a can and looked at me really strangely when he saw an empty rotisserie chicken package in the garbage :shock:  Though, now thinking about it... I don't know if he though canned soup was good or bad :razz:

Tonight, I'll be making Baked Chicken Parmesan a la IowaGirlEats. I'm really excited to try it-- especially since it was on last week's menu!

Cheers,

Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment