January 20, 2011

Crockpot Gumbo

Hello all,

I'm getting back to this! I promise! It's been an adjustment finding time to sit down and blog, but once I get going.. it's hard to stop.

Plus, the super FREEZING temps out there make curling up with a laptop just so much warmer. They say it's suppose to be -25 tomorrow. NEGATIVE. 8O

i just want to say in bed all day.

Yesterday, it was a warm 10 degrees. With windchill, it felt like -9 :| so crockpot gumbo was the perfect, warming thing to come home to.


What's the difference between gumbo and jambalaya? I keep using it interchangeably-- someone tell me! Hbf keeps making fun of me because I am mispronouncing jambalaya. I'm saying "jum-ba-lay-ya" and he'll laugh and say its "jum-ba-lie-ya." Most of the time he's tricking me :razz:

But to be honest, without his help.. this meal couldn't have been done. Usually, I leave for work at around 5:30 am and won't be home till around 7 pm so I need him to turn on the crockpot. So far, every crock pot meal we've made, he's been able to remember to turn it on. yay!

Crock Pot Gumbo/Jambalya


Ingredients:




  • 1 c chopped celery

  • 1 c chopped bell pepper

  • 1 c chopped onion

  • 3 smashed garlic cloves

  • 12 oz sliced andouille sausage

  • 2 tbsp cajun seasoning

  • 1 tsp thyme

  • 1 tsp oregeno

  • 2 bay leaves

  • 28 oz diced tomatoes

  • 2 c chicken broth

  • 2 c frozen raw shrimp, shelled

  • frozen okra (though my store didn't have any so I didnt use it, darn!)


Directions

1. Spray a crockpot with non-stick spray and place celery, onion and bell pepper on the bottom.


2. Slice up andouille sausage & place in crockpot on top


I've never used andouille sausauge before but look at the spices:



3. Add okra, all the spices and the smashed garlic cloves.

* I didn't get any okra since my store didn't carry it, but i think it would make a delicious addition!

4. When ready to cook, add whole can of diced tomatoes with juices and chicken broth.

5. Cook on low 7-8 hours, high 3-4 hours.

6. Last half hour of cooking, add raw shrimp.


7. Pull out the bay leaves and garlic cloves. Serve gumbo over rice.

While the shrimp was cooking, I cooked up some rice with chicken broth and a pat of butter.


Num, the dish was great! It was warm, spicy and had a great kick to it. Since I didn't have okra, it was a little more soupy than it should have been -- the okra would have helped thicken up the broth. But next time I will make sure to find a place with okra.


This will definitely stay on the menu.

But the menu is changing this week! We ran into hbf's dad last night at the gym and he wanted to go out to dinner tonight so instead of making baked chicken parmesan, i'll be dining out. Boo! But at least I have all the ingredients so I can just make it next week.

Have a great Thursday. Almost Friday :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment