January 4, 2011

Tuna Noodle Casserole

I shouldn't title this Meal Fail... this is all a learning experience! Maybe "Meal Reflection" or "Meal Learnings" would be a better term? Thoughts?

Last Thursday, I made a Tuna Noodle Casserole. I adapted it from this recipe and tried to scale down to feed two. Portioning food just for two has become rather difficult, and since helloboyfriend is not the leftover-type, I am stuck eating all the leftovers. Luckily, they make easy meals to bring to lunch.  Bringing my lunch = money in my pocket!


This is pre-bake and pre-topping but mmm, I just love peas and mushrooms!

Ingredients:




  • Egg noodles

  • Shredded Cheese

  • Frozen Green Peas

  • Canned Tuna, drained

  • Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup

  • Sliced Mushrooms, sauteed

  • Potato Chips


Directions

  1. Cook pasta in boiling water for until al dente. drain.

  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

  3. In a large bowl, mix noodles, 1/2 of the cheese, peas, tuna, soup and mushrooms. Transfer to a baking dish, and top with potato chip crumbs and remaining cheese.

  4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is bubbly.


Pre-Topping:


Pre-bake with topping:




The meal is something I would definitely make again. Next time, I think I could use more soup or creaminess -- it was a bit dry so it didn't feel like a casserole.

Lesson Learned: I learned two lessons from this meal. #1: scaling down the recipe for 4 servings is still pretty big. We  definitly had leftovers that I threw out because I already brought some for leftover lunch. Next time, let's try just 2 servings. #2: don't top with baked potato chips. I think the oil that's left in real potato chips keeps the dish crispy and (dare I say) fatty. I tried to go the healtherier route and used baked chips instead. Bad idea. They burned and it made for a gross topping. I almost would have rathered had no topping than burned baked chips.

I added a new year's resolution: to be more creative in the kitchen! I told helloboyfriend last night and he seemed alright with it. It'll be interesting to see what dishes I can put out. I started a tumblr to keep all the recipes I've been finding (instead of just emailing them to myself).

Well, I'm off to take Wiz to the vet to get a test. Hope she is alright!

Cheers,

Natalie

1 comment:

  1. Although I am NOT a big fan of tuna, this casserole really looks good. Very nice

    ReplyDelete