I've been meaning to post this recipe for some time now and am finally getting to it! Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my all time faves -- I first made it in college for Sunday Dinner with two friends. Perfect for a cozy, chilly weekend evening. I love the complex flavors, a little spicy and citrus-y!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
6 cups chicken broth
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (Rotel)
Avocado, tortillas, cheddar jack cheese and cilantro for servings
1. Poach chicken breasts in a large pot of water for 20 minutes.
2. Drain chicken and let cool.
3. Chop or shred chicken.
4. While chicken is cooking, roast the poblano pepper under a broiler until it is charred and almost black. Let cool.
5. In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high.
6. Cook onion and jalapeno until soft and onion is transparent. Add in garlic and diced poblano.
7. Pour in chicken stock and add the tomatoes, beans, green chilies, chicken and spices. Bring to boil.
8. Before serving, squeeze the juices of the two limes.
9. Serve with diced avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro or tortilla toppings.