Another new year's resolution was to cook more at home and spend less meals dining out. I thought we were actually doing a pretty good job of this until I started tracking my spending and realized we spent a ridiculous amount of dollars out on the town. The number was up there, and I was a little disappointed that it was so high but I learned alot from monitoring my budget -- this month's goals is to stick to my budget (yay for being an adult).
That being said, when I came home from work yesterday, cooking dinner was not on my mind. I had all the ingredients ready and had even did some prepwork the night before, but all Joe and I both wanted to do was head to Costco, grab a few things and get cheap Costco hotdogs. And we werethisclose to doing just that but decided we shouldn't waste a meal pre-prepped and to be good and eat at home. So Skillet Lasagna it was. Comfort food, a delicious meal and easily cooked in less than 30 minutes!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 jar pasta sauce
1 lb ground turkey
4 lasagna noodles
6 oz fresh mozzerella, sliced
1 cup cottage cheese
2 tsp dried parsley
heat oven to 425 degrees F.
1. In a medium-large oven safe skillet, brown ground turkey with dried parsley salt and pepper in the olive oil. Cook until brown, 6-7 minutes. Drain excess liquid.
2. In a separate pot, prepare water for pasta and bring to boil. Once water is boiling, drop in the lasagna noodles. You can break them apart but I left them whole.
3. Now that the turkey is cooked through, pour in the jar of pasta sauce and heat until bubbly.
4. At this point, noodles should be cooked. Remove from the water and set aside.
5. Scoop half of the warm sauce mixture into another bowl.
6. Time to assemble the lasagna Add two lasagna noodles over the remaining sauce mixture. Spoon scoops of cottage cheese and half of your sliced mozzarella on top of the noodles. Cover with the remaining two noodles. Take the rest of the sauce and pour over the noodles. Add more sliced mozzarella on top.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes and serve!