August 6, 2013

Garlicky Cauli-Rice





I grew up eating a lot of rice. Now, living on my own, I don't eat a lot of rice since it takes so much time to cook and I don't own a rice maker. I was looking for a new way to serve up the head of cauliflower I bought and mashed cauli wasn't cutting it. In came recipes for cauli-rice. Super fast, easy and delicious! I went the buttery-garlic route this time but I think I may take on a Chipotle style in the future and do a cilantro-lime cauli-rice! Now to plan for a taco night!


Garlicky Cauli-Rice
makes 6 cups
  • head of cauliflower, chopped into peices
  • 1 small onion, chopped finely 
  • 2 cloves of garlic,  minced
  • 2 tbsp ghee (or butter if you are not Whole30-ing)
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • Salt-free seasoning (I used Trader Joe's Seasoning Salut)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Put the cauliflower pieces into the food processor and pulse until they are the size of rice grains. You can do it in two parts -- I had to. Next, in a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in the melted ghee and coconut oil for about 5 minutes. Make sure the garlic doesn't burn. 

When the onions are soft, add the cauliflower grains and stir to mix it all together (fats, onions, cauli!). Add seasoning, salt and pepper to taste and then cover the skillet. Let the cauliflower cook for 5-10 minutes and then serve it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment