January 1, 2011

hello 2011

I cannot believe it's already 2011 and the end of the holiday season! Time flies and I think it is just going faster and faster.

For NYE, helloboyfriend and I were suppose to go to a party in Dinkytown but last minute cancellations happened and we ended up hosting a few friends at my place. I got to play hostess and had to pull together some appitizers with only 2 hours of notice.

Luckily, I had a couple apps I wanted to make so a menu was quickly made:

  • BBQ Mini Smokies

  • Hot Spinach & Artichoke dip

  • Chips & Dip

  • Deviled eggs

  • Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip



Look at that spread!

Personally, the Buffalo Chicken dip was the best! Spicy and cheesy -- so delicious. The grocery store was all sold out of celery but when I get my hands on some, the leftover dip is going to taste so good paired with it.


Chicken in a Biscuit crackers did the trick too!


Buffalo Chicken Dip (adapted from here)

Ingredients

  • 2 - 10 oz cans chunk chicken, drained

  • 2 packages cream cheese, softened

  • 1 cup Ranch dressing - I used half regular and half spicy ranch

  • 3/4 cup hot sauce - I used half Frank's Red Hot and Frank's Buffalo Sauce.

  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese


I only had one package of cream cheese but the dip was still creamy and cheesy.

Directions

  1. Mix chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat

  2. Once heated, mix in ranch dressing and cream cheese. Mix well.

  3. Mix in 1 cup chedder cheese.

  4. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.

  5. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, cover and cook on low.



So easy to make and perfect for a game-day app! I really like spicy food so if you can tolerate spiciness, you will enjoy this dip. I mixed the hot sauce with buffalo sauce because I really like that buffalo flavor. Definitely putting this in the recipe book.


Deviled Eggs are the best picnic food EVER! I've never put a sliver of a green olive on top of mine before, but hbf's grandmother did it and that's how he had them growing up so I thought I'd do it too :)  Have you ever heard of this as a topper?

Looking at this photo-- can you tell what I forgot??? Paprika!

I hope everyone had a great NYE and a happy and healthy 2011. I usually like making resolutions but I try and stay mindful of ones I can actually accomplish. Here are my resolutions for 2011:

  • drink 3 bottles of water every day (I have a 24 oz bottle so 72 oz total)

  • pay off my credit card fully every time I use it

  • start saving money (this one is more intricate)

  • continue writing in this blog & be better about photos

  • bring lunch to work at least 3 days a week

  • make one new recipe a week (be more creative in the kitchen)


I think these are pretty manageable. I did the water bottle one a couple years ago and it was great. I kept it up for a good year and a half, but somehow I haven't been following it. It might be because I miss having an ice maker!

Ah, well it's off to bed for me! Tomorrow, I celebrate Chinese-American New Years with my family! Usually the Chinese tradition is  eating dumplings or "jiaozi". Jiaozis signify wealth and prosperity and you are suppose to make them as a family and eat them together. At our household, my mom usually makes them but when I was a kid, I'd often help her wrap them (though she'd often have to pinch mine harder or else they will unfold during cooking). Real Chinese New Year is not until February but this is a way to ring in 2011!

Cheers,

Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment